Meet Michael: A Personal Photo Essay
My favorite place to take a bath: the kitchen sink.
(Although, these days it’s the Four Seasons.)
My mom taught me my fashion sense. And my “Blue Steel” look.
Is it any wonder I went into fashion photography?
Ten Things You Might Not Know About Michael…
- I’m Italian. Which automatically means dining, cooking and all things delicious are firmly built into my DNA. So if you’re in LA or NYC, I’ve got recos.
- My favorite place is anywhere with my wife and my three fabulous kids.
- I love all things vintage. Especially my Ducati, which lets me explore the diverse communities and subcultures of LA, sans the awful traffic.
- My favorite sushi spot is a hole-in-the-wall in Culver City, CA called Hamakaze. If you ever go, mention my name to Nick. Maybe he’ll whip up something special. But no promises.
- My son, Dakota, is a diehard gamer and tech savant who coded the eBook for my book, Lighting and the Dramatic Portrait.
- My daughter, Sophia, is living up to her Italian roots. She and I love to cook for the family.
- I’m bi-coastal. I split my time between Santa Monica, CA and NYC. But one of these days, I’d be down to live in Paris.
- I’m more mod than rocker…If you know what I mean.
- I never stop evolving my technique. But in the end, it’s emotion that creates a photograph that people will remember.
- I loved photography when I was a kid. And I love it more than ever now that I’m a (slightly) bigger kid.
Covering Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton in a play together in Boston as a young “cub” photographer.
Covering an anti-KKK rally: The police beat the press first. What’s wrong with this picture?
In the pool with my daughters Sophia and Zoey Rose.
Doing a restaurant tour in Paris, via Vespa, with my daughter Sophia.
One of my favorite days! Getting to listen to icon David Crosby play during a photoshoot!
Please join the Michael Grecco community for updates!
A Few Words From Michael…
- I’m passionate about all things art…especially fine arts and photography. (Duh.)
- I like to hang out and collaborate with other creative people because they’re not afraid to embrace the weird.
- My peers have called me “a master of light.” And while I feel a little chest poundy putting that here, it’s a compliment I take to heart and try to live up to every day.
- Awards and accolades are great. But the best part of being a professional photographer is we have a rare opportunity to capture, impact and create culture.
- I have no reason to hoard trade secrets. I love the commercial photography business. And the more we share our successes and failures, the better we are as an industry.
- As a Hasselblad Master – their word, not mine – I’ve been fortunate enough to travel around the world, speak at conferences and share my insights and techniques with the next generation of photographers.
- I’ve published several best-selling books about my signature lighting techniques.
- I never break rules for the hell of it. I break rules in order to create evocative, cinematic images. So let’s get together and break some rules.